Comfort food reigned supreme the other night, as I pulled from the oven a hot and gooey dish of chicken lasagna. It was not only a hit with my taste buds, but those of my husband and mother-in-law, who both agreed, “This doesn’t taste paleo! This tastes real.”
There’s nothing like the satisfaction of good old comfort food. It is hands down one of THE BEST forms of eating. It’s remarkable how a hearty, warm and cheesy bite can make everything better in life, isn’t it? Unfortunately, finding recipes that are good for the BODY and SOUL can be challenging. But let’s defy the odds, shall we?
Ladies and gentleman… say hello to clean-eating comfort food. (Yes, it’s possible!)
Chicken Lasagna Rolls
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 1 Yellow Squash
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 tsp. Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Basil
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Thyme
- 1 tsp. Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp. Dried Basil
- 1 8 oz. Can of Tomato Sauce
- 1 8 oz. Can of Diced Tomatoes (drained)
- 2 Tbsp. Honey
- 1 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Lb. Ground Chicken (Hormone, Antibiotic Free)
- 1 Box of Brown Rice Lasagna Noodles
- 1-2 C. of Shredded Mozzarella (from Goat’s Milk)
- Parmigiano Reggiano for garnish (from Sheep’s Milk)
- Heat a skillet with olive oil on Med/High heat.
- Sautée chopped onion, squash, zucchini and dried spices (about 15 mins.)
- Add sautéed veggies, garlic, sea salt, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, honey and balsamic vinegar into a blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth. This will be your sauce!
- In the meantime, boil 1 box of lasagna noodles (I used brown rice noodles).
- In the same pan used for veggies, cook up your ground chicken. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Drain your noodles, rinse and lay out flat on a clean counter or cutting board.
- Layer with shredded mozzarella, chicken and sauce. Roll, top with more cheese and sauce, and place into a greased baking dish.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 min. Broil to brown cheese; garnish with fresh basil and parmigiano reggiano.
- Taste the comfort.