Living without chocolate can make a girl go crazy! A woman needs her fix, that marvelous indulgence to calm her need for something sweet (and I don’t mean a Fiber One bar). As you may have found, there is a comforting addiction in the rich goodness of Ghirardelli chocolate. Whether it be in cake or candy form, it’s simply magical.
As my birthday approaches, I need a good old-fashioned chocolate cake recipe. One that not only LOOKS like a genuine cake, but one that TASTES and FEELS like the real stuff, without all the sugar and dairy. And while we’re at it, why not melt a Chocolate Ghirardelli Bar into the mix? While the bar is 100% Unsweetened Cocoa, you won’t know the difference! When all is said and done, you’ll never guess this cake is good for you. Yes, it’s true. Now let the woman have some cake! After all, life is like a box of chocolate cake… (or something along those lines.)
Chocolate Indulgence Cake w/ Whipped Coconut Cocoa Frosting:
For the Cake:
2 C. of Gluten Free Flour (King Arthur’s)
1 1/2 C. of Coconut Palm Sugar
2 tsp. of Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. of Cream of Tartar
1/2 tsp. of Sea Salt
1 C. of Earth Balance Butter (Soy Free)
1 1/2 C. of Almond Milk
1 Tbsp. of Apple Cider Vinegar
3 Large Eggs
1 1/2 tsp. of Vanilla
1 Ghirardelli 100% Cacao, Unsweetened, Chocolate Baking Bar (Melted)
For the Frosting:
2 Cans of Refrigerated Coconut Milk
1 1/2 tsp. of Vanilla
2 tsp. of Honey
3-4 Tbsp. of Cocoa Powder
1 Tbsp. Coconut Sugar
10 Drops of Liquid Stevia English Toffee Flavor (optional, but recommended)
15 Drops of Liquid Stevia Chocolate Flavor (optional, but recommended)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl or stand mixer, combine Earth Balance butter, eggs, vanilla and coconut sugar. Beat on medium speed for two minutes.
- Add almond milk, apple cider vinegar and melted Ghirardelli bar. (If melting in microwave, stir every 30 seconds as to not scorch the chocolate.)
- Beat for 1 minute.
- Add flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and sea salt. Mix on low to medium speed until well combined.
- Spread into greased and floured cake pans.
- Bake 18-20 minutes.
- Cool completely in pan.
- In a standup mixer with whisk attachment: empty the solidified coconut milk into your mixing bowl (set aside the coconut water which has separated in the can. This is great for adding to smoothies!)
- Add vanilla, honey, cocoa powder and liquid stevia(s).
- Beat on medium/high until peaks begin to form.
- Add coconut sugar (melted, with a tsp. of water in the microwave.)
- Continue to beat until the cream is peaked and fluffy!
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to frost cake.
- Frost between cake layers, as well as the outside, using a spatula. Spread liberally!
- After frosting, refrigerate cake until ready to eat.
Notes: Liquid Stevia can be purchased at your local health food store or here http://sweetleaf.com/products/sweet-drops-products. This cake is delicious with toasted walnuts and bananas, served alamode with Vanilla Coconut Bliss Ice Cream!